Friday, February 25, 2011

soundtrack

i have always been a huge music nerd! i love it. i just always remember it being the backdrop for every stage in my life. it's like my security blanket...drug of choice (if you will). i can recall the best/saddest/most life altering moments just by the first few notes of a song. & in those lyrics, time stands still for an instant & i am transported to that time. it's crazy how the song remembers. my parents are definitely to blame. we didn't have much, but music was there...family friend. (but that's another story for another day.)
i often think about the movie of my life...don't ask why, just go with it! what would my soundtrack be? there's a lot to choose from, as i've never limited myself to a particular genre (again mom & pops...somewhat opposite ends of the spectrum & i am the happy medium in-between). so i gave myself a timed test...i enjoy amusing myself...i do actually have other things going on in my life, btw. listen, i could ponder this for freaking ever & it would consume me; sad but true! so, i started jotting the first meaningful songs that popped in my head, & here's what i came up with. hey, maybe one of the following will remind you of a time...ya never know.

the beginning...or records worn slap out:
ode to billie joe...bobbie gentry
cherry cherry...neil diamond
delta dawn...tanya tucker
swingin...john anderson
lucretia macevil...blood, sweat, & tears
beth...kiss
9 to 5...dolly parton
me & little andy...dolly parton
gypsies, tramps, and thieves...cher

i want my mtv:
video killed the radio star...buggles
i love rock n roll...joan jett & the blackhearts
vacation...the go-go's
these dreams...heart (i took nancy & my sister did ann's part)
crazy for you...madonna
venus...bananara
p.y.t...michael jackson
time after time...cyndi lauper
home sweet home...motley crue
thieves like us...new order
rio...duran duran
99 luft balloons...nena
head over heals...tears for fears

"emotional algebra"...or teen angst, first loves, & mixed tapes:
circle...edie brickell & the new bohemians
just like heaven...the cure
nothing compares 2 U...sinead o'connor
waiting room...fugazi
polaroid baby...bratmobile
the scratch...7 year bitch
mallo cup...the lemonheads
wild horses...the sundays
black...pearl jam
west...the millions
rock star...hole
glory box...portishead
bull in the heather...sonic youth
at seventeen...janis ian
silent all these years...tori amos
wish you were here...pink floyd
the most wonderful girl...lords of acid
bombtrack...rage against the machine
laid...james

the one...or let the good times roll (for better or worse):
wouldn't it be nice...the beach boys
1999...prince
(today i met) the boy i'm gonna marry...darlene love
from this moment on...shania twain
joking...indigo girls
tiny dancer...elton john
it's oh so quiet...bjork
add it up...violent femmes
drive...the cars
how soon is now...the smiths

baby goodness (pre & post-pardum):
proud mary...tina turner
case of you...joni mitchell
blitzkrieg bop...the ramones
lullabye (goodnight, my angel)...billy joel
3 is the magic number...blind melon
comin' around again...carly simon
this woman's work...kate bush
hyperballad...bjork
every you, every me...placebo
how i could just kill a man...charlotte sometimes
i'm not okay (i promise)...my chemical romance
cat faces...ugly casanova


new ventures...or to be continued:
first day of my life...bright eyes
i'm yours...jason mraz
this year's love...david grey
the future's so bright i gotta wear shades...timbuk 3
american girl...tom petty & the heartbreakers
32 flavors...ani difranco
that's not my name...the ting tings
new soul...yael naim

0 comments:

Post a Comment