Sunday, April 22, 2012

"love grows"...


last week was extremely bittersweet for me. i left my work “home” of over 4 years. i said ‘goodbye’ to funny, crazy, sweet, & charming patrons. i said ‘see you later’ to wonderful women who mimicked mothers, aunts, & sisters to me. & under one roof, how so many ladies can get together so well, is still very strange to me, but it worked; we are a family.

i have always adored books (& still do). to be surrounded by them all the time was a dream come true…seriously. i guess this is why the thought of shelving them at the local library was such an exciting thought to me when the position was brought to my attention. (i was co-owner of an antique shoppe at the time…i will write about that at some point soon.)

little did i know, upon applying & then taking this position, that i would meet the most amazing people…the staff at the branch. we’ve had laughs & cries & heart to hearts. it was never a dull moment & i like to think that i contributed to a little bit of that. i was always met with warm smiles, “you’re not gonna believe what happened (s),” & “let’s see what you’re wearing today.”
thursday (second to last day), was when the gals had my going away party. cake, chips, dip…big ‘ol bag full of goodies, signed card, & a beautiful rosemary bush (which i abso-lute-ly love, because it’s so “me”).

but, my favorite part…”an olga song”! an olga song is the personalized lyrics to a familiar song written by a very awesome & talented mother-like confidant of mine. & her name is olga…duh! i was looking forward to my song & wasn’t disappointed. it was so great & wonderful. & i thought i’d share.

(to the tune of “get me to the church on time” from ‘my fair lady’)


ashley is leaving in the morning                                                                              
boo-hoo, these chicks are gonna whine
she’s found her passion, it’s chickens & fashion.
 just get her to her class on time.



we won’t forget the roller derby
covered in bruises, but she’s fine
is that a boo-boo,
or a brand new tattoo

just get her to her class on time   
 

what we’ll miss most is her humor

some of her zingers were sublime

we’ll miss her hair-dos

her spirit of can do

just get her to her class

we’re gonna miss her sass

forget staff day & get to class on time!

(omg, i was tearing up from both sadness & laughter.)     

i knew i was liked, but that day & on friday (my last day), i truly felt loved. these women truly love me & i, them! & i know that i will do well in my new endeavor of school because of my huge support system. i will visit the library (always), just as a patron now. plus, i will be able to read more “adult” novels…not just juvenile & young adult…ha! (even though, i’m still a sucker for picture books!)

& i’m leaving with my head held high, with grace, & no bridges burned. (hallelujah! i had good role models.)

so, a book shelver/library page for 3 summers, & then on to a new department for a year &  ½ in youth services. i cannot tell you how hard it was to walk away from the precious little faces, hugs, & “here, miss ashley, i made you a picture.” oh, what sweet goodness i will carry with me.
big breath…closing a chapter. & exhale…let’s go!!

"where my rosemary goes, & no body knows like me."

0 comments:

Post a Comment