Sunday, June 26, 2011

"i wanna rock right now"...


did you do it? did you go there…”i’m rob base & i came to get down?!” 
*oh, yea...disclaimer: i, ash, cannot be held responsible for any funky fun diddies that may/may not creep into your being. & moving on...if you answered yes, then welcome to my world where my brain instantly plays one bazillion songs throughout a single day. it’s a shame that i cannot comprehend truly important facts. the other day, someone mentioned the 4th of july coming up, to which i replied “r.o.c.k. in the usa….ye-yea, rockin’ in the usa!” (which was quickly followed by “and crown thy good with brotherhood” in my opera-ish voice.) i don’t even realize that i’m doing it, folks. & more than often, it’s out loud! i get looks…it’s cool. the people i work with are so used to it by now, & i’m sure that they love me when i get random songs stuck in their heads. (insert sarcasm here)


it doesn’t help that i’m easily distracted anyways, but like if we’re having a conversation & you say a totally normal word, bam…involuntary song selection. for example…the word ‘stop’…”collaborate & listen,” am I right?! or if someone’s telling a story about something that someone else said…”i got something to say…” & poof, i’m danzig.

my derby coach (back when i skated) would count down the time between getting to practice & actually beginning (getting your stuff on, on the track, etc.) & when he’d get to 6 minutes, i’d be singing “6 minutes, 6 minutes, 6 minutes, doug e fresh you’re on…o-o-on.”

it doesn’t even have to be the right lyrics…i can maneuver any words into a tune. i make up songs all the time for monkey, which usually ends in “mom, stop singing!” or “that was a really bad one!” his not so favorite was when I asked him if he was ever getting out of the bathtub. his response “never!” for some reason that triggered a warrant song & so i responded “got a picture of your butt & it’s standing in a towel…never isn’t too far away!” perhaps he was particularly grumpy at that moment. maybe he doesn’t care for 80’s hair bands. but I personally found amusement in it.

then there are the songs that i can complete upon hearing even a blip of it. these new commercials that are incorporating old songs into the advertisement are killing me. after a few hours of running around town, etc. i’ll wonder why i’ve been singing the the all freaking day…”this is the day, you’re life will surely change.” then, like a light bulb turning on, i’ll remember an m&ms commercial that was on earlier as i was leaving the house. (great song, btw.) or they’ll have their own catchy tunes...anyone familiar with this one? “in my swagger wagon, in my swagger wagon…” props to the ad team at sienna for this gem…seriously! (think i only sang it for a month?! & now it's been revisited...sweet!) & now, i just want to share...


the hubs sent me a text a few nights back saying he was on his way home…i sang “ooh, i’m on my way-e-e, home sweet home. tonight, tonight…” until he did!

other fun ones that have popped up just this week: (because I know you’re dying to know)
  • helped a lady find a book on nursery rhymes. “the humpty dance is your chance to do the hump.” (digital underground)
  • arguing over something petty with monkey. “if you complain once more, you’ll meet an army of me.” (bjork)
  • men fixing the roof. “when this old world starts getting me down…up on the roof.” (the drifters)
  • hubs looked cute for work. “why’d ya come in here looking like that?” (dolly parton)
  • 2 straight days of thunderstorms. “ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone.” (bill withers)


*are you still reading this? “too much time on my hands…t-t-t-ticking away.” (STYX) just kidding...i do appreciate each & every reader! "and if you threw a party. invited everyone you knew. you would see the biggest gift would be from me & the card attached would say 'thank you for being a friend!'" (andrew gold)




2 comments:

JuJu said...

Oh man, I love Andrew Gold.

If it makes you feel any better, I have these same issues. Although, I NEVER seem to know the right lyrics, so I'm thinking the wrong words all the time.

It just makes you more interesting my dear! (if that is at all possible--you are TRES interesting as it is!!)

Larry Reid said...

Awww... the voices in our heads. Thankful that yours is a singing voice!
Keep up the great writing Ash.
Larry

Post a Comment