Wednesday, July 27, 2011

resolutions in july...

you've heard of christmas in july? what about resolutions? did you keep any "things i'm gonna do in the new year"...do you remember them? maybe it was to not smoke, drink less, exercise more. i know, me too. what a silly tradition, huh? but there is some goodness in setting goals for yourself. new year's just always finds me making insurmountable, last minute ideals that i know i won't keep. i want to keep them, but i'm never realistically prepared. it's like, all of sudden, pop quiz time...uh, my resolution is to save the world while making more money & rescuing all stray animals. yea, so not much.

fast forward to 7 months later where i'm in serious need of a clean house; a makeover, if you will. oh, & this makeover isn't on the outside. my soul is crying out for a clean slate. i know, it sounds cheesy, but i'm serious here. i need to turn a new leaf & make a break from this emotional rut.

i'm thinking in order to complete such a task, i will keep it simple. average, ordinary stuff. back to basics. goals that i can set, keep, & in turn make my sanity somewhat whole again.

i started writing down things that i needed to accomplish for myself. here's what i came up with. 

1. buy all new undergarments. yep, that's right. i'm not sure about you guys, but for myself, i find that uncomfortable underpants or a binding bra that creates the most fashionable quadra-boob effect has got to go! i'm thinking my days of bending, stooping, reaching, etc would definitely be more productive & less aggravating. & if you're on board, i've got a fire pit with plenty of wood, so have your people call mine.

2. hand written correspondence. what a treat it is to get something in the mail other than bills or ads. i love thank you notes, post cards...& i always love to send them. but, i've gotten out of the habit & so that is definitely something i'd like to get back in the swing of doing. not to mention, my friends & fam group are older now, settled; which equals a lot fewer scratch throughs in the ole address book.

3. hug more. okay, this is probably strange, but you have to understand, i work with the public! & unfortunately in doing so i have allowed that whole "personal space" thing to really resonate with me. sadly, i have little kids want to hug me & i simply don't hug them back like i should. i do the cold, pat-on-the-back thing. but no more! it makes me feel good to get a good squeeze, so i am going to embrace these children like they were my own from now on. & you, with that smirky grin, watch out...i'm coming after you, too!

4. learn to play sonic. the hedgehog, that is. my child is obsessed, but i never play. it's a hubs thing, & no disrespect to the hubs...i just need to practice when no one else is home. you see, i am "allowed" to play mario-cart, but i never had a nintendo or anything as a kid, so i just suck at these type of games. it's a personal thing, don't judge me.

5. organize, organize, organize. i may need a damn chore chart for myself...hell, i don't know. i'm a hot mess, people.

6. treat myself once a month. i adore doing for others (or i simply would not), but i forget ash. so, if it's new perfume or a manicure or a massage; i'm going to find some "me" time. i need this in order to function properly for everyone else...trust me.

7. document through photos. when monkey was teeny, i was a stay-at-home. there wasn't one thing that child didn't do that wasn't photographed. seriously. but that, like everything else, has become an after thought. note to self: good photos only happen if you remember the camera!

8. practice my french. oui. i used to be quite fluent...a hundred years ago, but still. i hate the fact that i spent so much time learning a beautiful language only to lose it. insert audio cds here (from my local library...*wink, wink)

9. end each day on a positive note. even though i hate ending on an odd number, this is probably the most important for my peace of mind. out of all the craziness that consumes my days, i know i can find one good thing to end it with. why lose sleep over crap i simply cannot change? plus, i have tons to be thankful for; loved ones right in my sight before bed, a lovely life at the end of the day. it's a shame that i have to remind myself of that some times.

0 comments:

Post a Comment