Sunday, August 14, 2011

greetings & salutations...


i am a collector. i collect random things. they aren’t strangely odd things, but random. the hubs has his assortment as well, so that makes me feel better about my knick-knacks. now, before you start emailing the folks over at ‘hoarders,’ be well aware that this is a healthy & organized little thing i have going. granted, the rest of the house is a mess, but the pretties are arranged accordingly.

the many things i pick up at yard sales, antique stores, various travels, or via friends who keep me in mind throughout the year are shot glasses, matchbooks (which is a dying breed), salt & pepper shakers, plates (teeny ones), pez dispensers & pretty much any vintage/retro fantastic-ness.
but out of all the stuffs that are fun to find & keep, my most favorite are postcards! i adore them. i love to mail them, get them in the mail, or buy them to keep. a couple are framed, but the majority are kept in a photo album left out for flipping & looking.

there’s no rhyme or reason in the selection of postcards, which i think makes them so fun. i have found super old ones in antique stores that had neat messages from the sender to recipient. dusty souvenir shops have silly or cheesy or totally inappropriate ones. & then every now & then, i get the coolest ones from friends that have traveled to beautiful places, & personally, i feel like those tend to include me in on the adventure (even though i’m not technically there).

i don’t see myself ending this fascination with postcards in the future. plus, if people are willing to indulge me, i say ‘keep ‘em coming’ because they are the best, & always very much appreciated!

i went through the lot & managed to pick out a few of my faves to share (even though i could devote an entire picture gallery, but that’d just be crazy.)

p.s. stay tuned for my collection of folks that also collect postcards…just kidding!

p.p.s. the inspiration for this blog came from a friend who recently wrote about her love of postcards as well. & has sent me one of my very favorites that is included below. thanks, juju! (check her out, btw...jujusmusings.blogspot.com)


favorite trips! (clockwise)  jersey shore (long before it was a household name), valle crucis mast general store, nc (road trip with jen to visit kayt), musikfest in bethlehem, pa (shaking it with the sis, platz by platz), hershey, pa (sweetest place on earth...agreed.)

from fave people! (l to r) from bethy...cuz & mover & shaker...taking pics, leaving footprints, & learning in kenya, greetings from juju...my postcard partner in crime, jen in chicago (another place i love) & the ultimate best postcard sender ever!












& the absolute best postcard out of the bunch was one that i recently discovered after years of being tucked away in a box. it made me laugh so hard & immediately took me straight back to a super fun time with truly one of my most favorite people. south of the border, sc with a great high school friend, emmy! i like to refer to this as simply "pedro!"



2 comments:

JuJu said...

Keep em coming! I want more more more!! I am loving on this South of the Border card. CLASSIC!!

(and, thanks for the shout out girl!)

Anonymous said...

well damn, now i now that ur a postcard hoarder, I'll send ya one or two when i travel!!

Post a Comment